September 5, 2010

Desire is Irrelevant. Or is it?

Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines (2-Disc Widescreen Edition)"Desire is irrelevant, I am a machine." These are the words of the Terminator in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. The scene starts where the Terminator- a cybernetic organism sent from the future to protect John Connor- has been reprogrammed to "Terminate" John. He knows what his job is, but cannot control himself- He is a machine after all. He has John in inevitable death, and tries to explain that Desire is irrelevant- He's just a machine. In other words, He doesn't want to harm John, but can only do what he is programmed to.

It got me thinking- how much does desire have to do with our outcome? Sure, we are not machines. We can change our plans and affect our lives, but how much stock should we all put into our desires- our hopes- our dreams? Can we change our lives with just a bit more desire, or a bit less for that matter?

Right now, my main focus is on the job market- it's just where I'm at right now. Does it make a difference how much I want a job? If I desire a job more than if I were just interested in a job, would that make me get a job faster?
I would have to say that I believe that Desire is relevant. If I desire a job, I am going to work hard at getting a job. I'm going to be checking the job listings often. I'm going to pursue job opportunities harder than if I was merely interested in a job. I desire to teach in the Central Oregon area more than I desire to teach in other communities- so it is logical and true that I have applied for more of the jobs listed in that area. I desire to teach in a Third grade class more than I desire to teach in a Sixth grade class, and so I find myself applying to those Third grade positions more.

I believe that the way our lives turn out and the things we are interested in affect our desires. If I desire something more than another, I am going to work harder at it.

Sometimes in life, I feel like the Terminator- desiring to do something in particular, but feeling that that desire is IRRELEVANT. I can't help my desire- all I can do is sit back and watch myself do what I am "Programmed" to do. But, isn't it great to know that God gives us free will. We can choose to do the right thing or the wrong. We are not machines. Our desires can make a difference in our own lives as well as others.

Always know there is a choice and DESIRE IS RELEVANT!

No comments: