June 24, 2012

Pixar's Brave

The pinnacle of my waiting had finally been fulfilled yesterday afternoon. I had been waiting very impatiently for months, probably since at least December. Yes, I finally got to see Brave, the new Pixar movie.
I got a group of friends together and we caught some lunch at Red Robin first. I had the new Tavern Burger. It was alright, but I found the reason why it was cheaper than other burgers, even though it had two patties, it was smaller than the normal burgers. Don't get me wrong, it was good and for 6.99 for a burger and fries at Red Robin is a good deal, but I was kind of expecting it a bit bigger. Luckily the fries are never-ending and so because the burger was smaller, I finished up my appetite on fries, which are always good.

I did not plan enough time for the movie at 1:30 and a lunch at 12:30, so by the end of our lunchtime, we would not have made it in time for the 1:30 showing so we had to wait around and go to the 4 showing. It turns out that that was the best option anyway because I got to spend some fun time with my friends.
We first got in line and got our tickets so we would not have to wait in line before the movie. We went through the Old Mill district and walked down the shops. We had no real direction or purpose, just killing time and spending time. It was awesome. We went into some stores that we had not been in. We got a chance to see what Orvis is like- expensive clothing. We went into Gingers (I think)- the fancy kitchen store. We went into the Spice shop right next to it- wow there were some potent smells there.
I had a funny experience there. I wanted to take a whiff of a mesquite smoke powder thing and opened up the jar to sniff. It was so powerful it made me cry a little bit. Jeez, that was really strong. I found out afterwards by a friend that I had not taken the time to read the label that said, be careful. Oops.

We also went into a gallery of art down there in the Old Mill. It was neat to see.

As we were walking back we were joking of how we were going to get the best seats because we were there 1/2 hour early and did not have to wait in line. THAT did not happen. Sure, we were there nice and early, and we did not have to wait in line, but we did not get those cool seats. You know the ones, the ones where you sit right in the middle of the theatre and get the bars that you can hang your feet on. We arrived at the theatre to find out we had to search for 4 seats together.

The Short, La Luna, was alright. It had me laughing at times and the animation was good. I did not appreciate it until the end of the short. By the end I liked it, but I still like Day and Night better. I was not a big fan of the grunts that the gentlemen did in the short. Usually Pixar can do a great job with having a short without any words, but this was not one of them.

Now onto the movie.
It was amazing. The animation was very impressive. I just am amazed at how the quality and realisticness (i don't know if thats a word, but even if it is not, I still like it, or realisticity, I like that one too) of the animation. I think Pixar still has a ways to go to get their people looking more realistic. I do know that they work to make people look realistic but not too realistic. I guess I could see them getting a bit more realistic (like scrooge, from the newer animated Christmas Carol) without getting to that point of too realistic where it turns people off or creeps them out.

The story was alright, but not crazy-good. Don't get me wrong, I loved the characters. Merida is my kinda girl. She is independent and fun-loving. She is a princess. She just doesn't want to be like her mother and have all the boring responsibility that she currently has. King Fergus is hilarious. He does not wear the pants in the family though (literally, he wears a kilt) because his wife, the Queen Elinor is kind of in charge of the family (and Kingdom). Fergus is like Merida, fun loving and not necessarily responsible. He likes to go hunting for bears. Queen Elinor is the strict, Matriarch. She is in charge of the kingdom and always has respect. The triplets are always getting into trouble. They love to go around the castle and steal food and have fun. They also help Merida out a few times.
I really liked this movie, I just did not see it as totally original. It reminds me of another movie in some respects, but I am not going to mention the movie in case you go, I want you to be surprised about the storyline.
It is certainly a good movie, Pixar-worthy, and Movie Theatre-Worthy.
I loved the accents. I told my friend I was sitting next to that I needed to go to Scottland or Ireland to find my future bride because I like the accents so much.

Now onto my cautions of this movie.
I would highly recommend NOT taking young children. This movie has some intense scenes that will scare a kid quite a bit. There is a bear in there that is very realistic and scary. My nieces would not be able to handle it in theaters, as well as many other young children. I would say maybe bringing a 4 year old at the earliest, perhaps even 5 or 6.

The movie, overall, rates an 8 on the Pixar scale. Right there in between Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc.


No comments: