August 8, 2009

Tim the Tool Man???


So, I have always been very saddened by the fact that I am not good at mechanical/electrical/fixing items. I have a long line of good craftsmen/woodworkers/electritions/pretty much anything with your hands- men in my family. My father is just pretty much in one word- AMAZING at anything fixable (except Plumbing, he HATES having to do Plumbing, anyways) and he can do anything, pretty much;
Fix a car
repair electrical items
fix a computer
create beautiful woodwork
leatherwork
ect ect ect
and my grandfather the same. He was actually an electronics and woodshop teacher at a high school. And it goes back even further, back many generations that I don't even want to think about.
Now dad was great at showing me how to do things, he let me participate in changing the oil, building a deck, staining, painting, varnishing, souldering, ect but I never had the knack for it. I always wanted to help, but usually I didn't do it good enough for dad's standards (Being the perfectionist that he is, AND that I'm not) or I would just get bored with it or I would need help from the master.
I just kept on saying that the Mr. Fix-it Gene is dormant in my body, Im just a carrier.

But guess what I did this afternoon W/O any help from Dad???
Well, lets back up a bit and tell the whole story.

I have my Maggie (a Magellan GPS). I love Maggie; she helps out when I am lost and makes the car ride go quicker. Well, anyways, Maggie has been acting up lately, not charging when she is supposed to and I have to kinda push that power cord in too much and it has been loose. Well today was the final straw for Maggie. She just gave that power input way and it fell into the insides of her. I thought for sure that Maggie was a goner but I might be able to do open-case surgery.
So I Rush Maggie home to open her up to take a look. Sure enough, it was something that is fixable. But the question was, was it Tim Fixable or Mr. Fix-it Fixable. I didn't want to ruin Maggie so I thought about waiting for Mr. Fix-it to get home in a week or so, but then I got some courage, and dove into the problem. It really was a simple fix, the power input had lost its connection to the motherboard so I knew that I needed the souldering tools. I got them out and warmed up and it took some precision (Perfection from an UN-perfectionist) but I made it. I gave it a shot and it was still a bit off, so I took another shot at it and, BAM, Maggie's all better and back to Life. She is charging right beside me now and looking better than ever.

So, needless to say- This might not have been the most difficult thing to fix, but I did it all by myself and am proud of myself for doing it right. Megan- Highlight, BAM!

Oh, and the Title, I just thought it was funny that Tim the Tool Man Taylor has the same first name as myself and I am so bad with tools usually. Not today.