November 2, 2011

Say it Ain't So, Hawky

I certainly DO NOT recommend the WHOLE album of the new Hawk Nelson.

Most of the time, I love Hawky. They are funny and have great music and lyrics. I like the Pop/Rock/Punk type of sound they have. I have every single album currently available, but this morning my view changed a bit.

Yesterday, their Christmas album (EP) was released. Of course, I listened to the preview of it and thought it sounded good, and so I bought it. It was fairly cheap and what not so, why not, right?

Well, I was somewhat disappointed. I listened to the whole thing this morning and was not impressed. It has 7 songs on the album, most of which are under two minutes in length. The first four tracks were not that impressive to me.
They were too fast for me with nothing special or  changing about them. They did not take the old songs and make them new, like Shane and Shane's Glory in the Highest Christmas Album, or to the vain of MercyMe's Christmas Sessions. They just quadrupled the speed of the songs and did nothing exciting.

Now, the last 3 songs were a bit better, not too short, not too fast, and, although not changed much, alright to listen to.
Honestly, Joy to the World was alright until the last 30 seconds or so.

If you want to get Hawk Nelson Christmas songs, go for the "Gloria EP" rather than the Christmas album. It is MUCH, MUCH better. If you feel you need to get the new album, I would recommend getting the songs individually, and just get the last 3 or 4, not the whole album.

That's just my take.

No comments: