October 26, 2010

Apples out my Ears!

Apples coming out my ears and filling its lovely aroma all around the house.
Yes, I had such a great time getting apples from Hood River at Rasmussen Farms. Now, I have to say that it was much more fun to pick apples from the trees myself at Alice's Orchard, but there were so many different varieties at Rasmussen. They were all in big bins and for a reasonable price too. I got some:





*Granny Smith

*Tokyo Rose

*Jonagolds

*Golden Delicous

*Winter Banana

*and then some odd varieties that were "Saucin Apples" that were a bit bruised and at a discounted rate. (How can you go wrong with .40cents/lb)

The BFG (My Roald Dahl)I have to say that so far my favorite to eat has to be the Tokyo Rose which is a variety of Fuji. They have kind of a waxy feel to the outside- red with yellow streaks. They are amazingly juicy and scrumptious (that word reminds me of Roald Dahl books- remember those). 

I have been using my apple slicer/peeler/corer NONSTOP. If you are ever going to be making apple things such as Apple Sauce or Apple Pies or bread or whatnot, I certainly recommend them- I think you can still get one for about $20 or less. It is great when making pies because it slices in rounds and keeps them all together and then I can just use a knife to cut in quarters (from top to bottom) and it makes the perfect size for the apple pie.




I have been recommended (when asked on Facebook) to make Apple Bread, Apple Crisp, and Apple Butter.
I have to say that it is such a great thing to have lots of apples from an independent company to use in baking and other applications.

No comments: