December 5, 2010

50 Days: Advent

For those who don't know, Advent is a celebration in church services in December. It is the tradition of lighting candles each Sunday in the Advent month (December) up to Christmas. Usually (at least in churches I have been in,) one candle is lit each week leading up to Christmas and then Christmas Eve is when all candles (or just the last one) are lit.
I have wonderful memories of Advent weeks in Church and today is the mark of the traditional start (1st Sunday in December) of Advent.  I was sad to find this morning at church that we do no Celebrate Advent in the way I know- no candles were lit and there was no talk of Advent.
From recalling last years Christmas Eve Service at church, they do participate in lighting candles then, but sadly it is not a weekly lighting leading up to Christmas. How sad.

Advent is one of the great things about the Christmas Season. It is a Sunday tradition and I am sad that it is not a month-long advent at New Hope. Oh well, at least I am still taking a Candy Cane on Sundays as we did in our home. I am about to get my Candy Cane for today.


20 Days until Christmas!
Does your church celebrate Advent?

No comments: