December 21, 2010

50 Days: Miracle on 34th Street.

This post is dedicated to one of my favorite Christmas stories- Miracle on 34th Street. Miracle was originally released on May 2, 1947. Wow, who would've thought that a Christmas movie like Miracle was released in the month of May!

You may be wondering which Miracle I prefer. There are two very good versions- the 1947 version or the  1994 version by John Hughes. Well, sadly, they are both just so amazing that I cannot choose a preference.

The great qualities of the original version are as follows:
Its the original- unique qualities matter to me.
The Santa Clause- Edmund Gwenn did an excellent acting job.
The courtroom part in the end when they bring in all the mail to determine he's Santa (ops, spoiler Alert)
The Judges advisor friend- Fred from I Love Lucy- he's funny with all his warnings and face-making.
"Gosh, everyone knows your not s'posed to lie... specially in court!"- best line ever by a cute kid.
The fact that the store is Macy's- not a knock-off name that the knockoff company paid to have use.
Acting like a Monkey.

The great qualities of the remake version are as follows:
the remake stays true to its original story and is well done.
Susan- I love Mara Wilson- She is just the cutest, most polite little thing in this movie... she's about my age (1987) and a Red-head.. I wonder if she's married? ;)
The look of the Santa- he just looks like a Santa should.
John Hughes- He was (yeah, I was bummed that he is no longer with us) an amazing writer. Pretty much anything of his that I have seen, I have thoroughly enjoyed. Think about the movies you have watched by him.- Miracle, Home Alone, Planes Trains and Autos, Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, all good stuff.
The fact they brought God into the movie in parts. Awesome

There are some great parts about both movies, but I just can't choose one. I have to watch em BOTH!

4 Days until Christmas!
Ya gotta watch both versions of Miracle this season. Borrow from me if you need to.

No comments: