November 11, 2010

50 Days: Reindeer

"Reindeer aren't real!" I heard a friend say to me a few years ago. Sure, we were grown up- she being 19 and myself 21. "They are just like Santa- Fake!" she says. I knew myself that Reindeer were real and had known for quite a while. Was it because I believed? Was it because I still had a child-like faith? Was it because I knew more about zoological information? Nope on all accounts (but I do consider myself to still have a child-like faith). It was because I had grown up in Redmond Oregon and had seen Reindeer myself very often. Operation Santa Clause- Reindeer Ranch is located just outside of Redmond and probably less than a mile from my house. I remember going to the ranch quite a few times and visiting the Reindeer. I haven't been in ages but they are still being raised there. It used to be a big deal in Redmond with times for the public to take pictures with Reindeer and meet Santa and the like but in the more recent years they have been more private without public use.

"But Reindeer don't fly..... RIGHT?" my friend asks. "Right! I said. "Reindeer don't fly, but they are real!"
After our visit, I took her over to view (from a distance) the Reindeer at the ranch and she was a believer.

Supposedly, the local reindeer at Operation Santa Clause are shipped all over and were used in The Santa Clause movie with Tim Allen. Of couse, in those movies, the Reindeer talk and make funny faces, and fart, but real reindeer look similar to Deer- not being animated in the features like they make them in the movies.

45 Days until Christmas! Don't you wish Reindeer really COULD fly?

1 comment:

Alex Quillian said...

Another interesting thing about reindeer is that both male and female reindeer grow antlers.